Saturday, March 20, 2010

Revisiting an old feeling.

In celebration of my 25th birthday tomorrow, I took the weekend off from work which is something I never do. So to get the weekend started off right, I drank with a few of my closest friends. It was a fantastic evening and I got quite inebriated.

Around 3am when we were good and buzzed, me, Kayla, and Aimee sat down at the table in Kayla and Ryan's apartment and had a deep conversation on life. Kayla exposed some deep stuff about her life that I never knew about her. We got to talking about her fears about her brother being in Iraq and she told me how much she admired my ability to be strong after the loss of my brother. My brother was killed in a car crash on April 9, 2007; it's going to be a 3 years next month. In our conversation, she said admired how I dealt with my life after losing him and how strong I have been ever since. But what a lot of people will never understand is that I didn't have a choice. There was no other way for me to deal than to be strong for my family. My brother and I were very close and I never really talked about some of the things I revealed last night about our past and just how much I really miss him. It's true, I never ever talk about it. I don't have anyone close enough to me that would ever care to listen. Well that was until last night. I feel so much better knowing that she's there for me, and I am there for her. We all really need that in life. That deep personal connection to share with a friend because let's face it, we all have a story. We all need that outlet and I haven't had that in years with anyone. I never realized how much I missed it.

I am a strong person. I feel like I am finally doing things the way I should be. I am going to school. Not only for my own personal gain, but to make my parents proud. They struggled their whole lives to give us everything they possibly could. I owe it to them to do something with my life. I also keep a positive attitude towards everything in life. Sometimes too positive, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

And on that note, I am going to go lay down and watch Knocked Up. I love this movie! Come tomorrow I will be 25. It's such a weird concept to be halfway through my twenties.