Sunday, March 21, 2010

Birthday Rant. Happy 25th. Sincerely, your shitty job.

Today was the perfect day to turn 25. The sun was shining, the weather high in the 60s. I thoroughly enjoyed this weekend and was ready to go back to work tomorrow morning all refreshed. When I asked for my new schedule I was told I've been scheduled only two days. Happy Fucking Birthday from everybody's favorite chain restaurant.

I have taken this blow in a couple of different ways. My first reaction of course is to freak out and have this instantaneous sensation to march my ass down to the store and give this poor excuse for a manager a piece of my mind. But unfortunately, it's not going to solve anything and plus, it is my birthday afterall. The second way to deal? Oh good, I only have to go there two days this week. This is what I get for all of my hard work and dedication.

I haven't called out in over two years. I am always on time, do my job to corporate "standard" and I think I do a damn good job. And how do they repay me? By giving me two shifts? And guess where my shifts have gone. To the girl who calls out after being out at the bar all night and has a baby who stays with her cousin all weekends so she can have a good time. So automatically because she has a child and I don't, I should suffer? I have bills to pay. I am seriously at my wits end with this low life excuse for a job. I have given this place 6 years of my life. And here I am, not knowing what's going to happen. When I go to pick up my check tomorrow, I will be sitting down with my manager. I am going to be as calm, mature and professional as I possibly can.

I have a feeling of where this is stemming from. This place has been run so lackluster and half-ass for so long, and with the economy in the shape it's in, corporate is breathing down the necks of the higher management and telling them to straighten these places out or else. If it means hiring ALL new staff and getting rid of the old, so be it. We are just a number, after all. Thank god I am in college. Thank god I know that this is not the end of the road for me and better things are coming. I just need to exercise all of my options. I really am counting on this job I interviewed for. Hopefully they will be calling me the minute they get the results of my background check. Maybe monday morning? It would be too perfect since I don't have to work anyway.

In other news, my birthday was pretty damn good. I visited with close family and friends and tried to enjoy my day. Now it's time for me to go catch up on homework and study for my Algebra Midterm on tuesday.